Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Soldier

I'm thinking of what it means to be a soilder of the Lord. I know we are called to fight, to fight on behalf of ourselves, and on behalf of others. How do we take up arms? Is it to worship, to read the Word, or to serve? Is it to dance out, cry out, shake your fists in the atmosphere and pray that the spirit within will put the enemy to flight. Is it to love courageously and freely?

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4

Listen to Amy Carmichael's soldiers prayer:

"From prayer that asks that I may be
Sheltered from winds that beat on Thee,
From fearing when I should aspire,
From faltering when I should climb
higher,
From silken self, O Captain, free
Thy soldier who would follow Thee.

From subtle love of softening things,
From easy choices, weakenings,
(Not thus are spirits fortified,
Not this way went the crucified).
From all that dims Thy Calvary,
O Lamb of God, deliver me.

Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that will burn like fire.
Let me not sink to be a clod:
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment